Geographic Information Science (GIScience) – Online Undergraduate Certificate
Stand out in the job market by adding a transcript-visible Undergraduate Certificate in Geographic Information Science (GIScience) to your degree program online with Oregon State.
The use of GIScience technologies has become pervasive throughout scientific, natural resource management, government, industry and business organizations.
Oregon State’s highly-regarded GIScience undergraduate certificate – delivered online by OSU Ecampus – combines theory and principles underlying:
- Geospatial data collection (remotely sensed imagery from satellites, aircraft, drones, social media, telemetry, GPS, etc.)
- Technologies to manage, analyze and visualize geospatial data (geographic information systems)
- Computational, statistical and mathematical methods to analyze and model geospatial data (machine learning, big data, spatial statistics, spatial modeling, geovisual analytics, etc.)
- Digital cartography and geovisualization (the science and practice of creating maps)
- Cognitive, social and environmental implications of GIScience (professional ethics, privacy, digital divide, etc.)
Fits perfectly with your Oregon State major
This certificate complements many disciplines and could be especially beneficial if you're enrolled in one of the following degree programs:
- Marine sciences
- Environmental sciences
- Earth sciences
- Climate sciences
- Agricultural sciences
- Public health
NOTE: The U.S. Department of Education has approved this certificate for federal financial aid eligibility as part of a full degree program, but not as an independent certificate program. Alternate funding sources (e.g. loans, private funds) may be required to cover the costs associated with this program.