Master of Arts in Teaching (M.A.T.) – Online/Beaverton Hybrid
We understand the uncertainty around COVID-19 and the current status of our hybrid Ecampus programs. Please know we are committed to your academic success and personal safety. Contact the program department directly with any questions or concerns you have about this Ecampus program.
Hands-on teaching + online learning
Oregon State University’s Master of Arts in Teaching with an option in clinically based elementary program (M.A.T. program) is a full-time licensure* program that will prepare you to become an effective teacher capable of managing a classroom. In this 51-credit, two-year master’s degree program, you will be immersed in the classroom gaining hands-on experience from day one while actively engaging with a cohort of like-minded peers.
The power of a strong partnership
The M.A.T. program is a unique partnership between the OSU College of Education and school districts in or near Portland, Oregon. The program provides you the opportunity to learn from renowned OSU faculty online through Oregon State Ecampus while co-teaching with experienced, senior teachers in the Beaverton School District or Portland Public Schools.
You will work in a classroom twice weekly during the first year and every day during the second year to experience the clinical learning environment. You will complete coursework delivered online by Ecampus and in face-to-face sessions at Oregon State’s downtown Portland classroom building.
In the fully online courses, you will participate in discussion forums to exchange questions and answers with your cohort of peers. During the online hybrid courses, you will engage in face-to-face instruction with OSU and Beaverton School District faculty.
Teachers are in demand
Nationally, there is a strong need for teachers, particularly in key areas, including bilingual and STEM teachers.
Employer demand for teaching professionals with master’s degrees in the Pacific Northwest increased 81 percent from July 2013 to June 2015. Additionally, there are strong employment prospects for licensed teachers in the Portland metro area, with a need for teachers with master’s degrees across all grade levels and content areas.
Benefits of earning your degree online from Oregon State:
- All online classes are developed by Oregon State's renowned faculty, who are known for their research, expertise and innovation.
- OSU is regionally accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities.
- The OSU College of Education preparation program recently received the highest accreditation ranking from the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP).
- You receive the same Oregon State University diploma and transcript as on-campus students.
- OSU Ecampus is consistently ranked as a national leader in online education.
- The program’s rigorous curriculum and flexible delivery blends online and in-person sessions to maximize learning and flexibility.
Justin Roach, M.A.T. program lead
OSU College of Education